The IHERF Health Care Careers Scholarship Program began in 2005. The goal of this program is to fill Iowa health care positions that have notable numbers of openings by offering significant financial support to students seeking health care education or training. In exchange for this financial support, each recipient must commit to working one year in an Iowa hospital for each year of scholarship award.
The Iowa Hospital Association supports the Health Care Careers Scholarship Program through the Iowa Hospital Education and Research Foundation (IHERF), an IHA subsidiary. Scholarships of up to $7,000 ($3,500 per year for a maximum of two years) each have supported higher education for more than 625 Iowa college students. Apply for college scholarships for health care careers HERE from Nov 1, 2022 thru Feb. 28,2023.
NEW IHERF also provides an additional 15 $2,000 scholarships to high school students. These scholarships are intended for students whose academic performances support them being successful in college, and they could benefit from a scholarship to start a health care-related area of study. Selected high schools will nominate a student for the scholarship.
Apply for college scholarships for health care careers HERE from Nov 1, 2022 thru Feb. 28,2023.
Students (standard and nontraditional) must meet and agree to these requirements before applying:
- Students must be enrolled in an accredited program leading to licensure or a clinical laboratory degree.
- Students must be within three years of completing their professional education.
- Students must complete the online application form by the deadline.
- Following graduation, students must agree to work for an Iowa hospital (including Iowa hospital-owned clinics and long-term care facilities) for one year for each scholarship awarded. Employment must be in the career and in the district selected on the application form.
- If the scholarship is for the Emergency Medical Technology/Technician Certification Program, students must work for one year with an EMT company serving Iowa hospitals in the district selected on the application form.